Staying Safe In Your Home

Back of woman's head
Keeping Safe
Staying Safe In Your Home
In danger? In an emergency always call 999

There are a number of things that you can do to help safeguard you and your family in your home, but it is important for you to get the support you need.

Talk To Your Landlord

Whether you are a social housing tenant, or rent from a private landlord, you shouldn't be afraid to talk to your landlord about the issues you have been having; this should not put your tenancy at risk. If your landlord is aware of your situation they will be more likely to ensure that any repairs are dealt with quickly should your security be at risk and some landlords may be able to offer you extra security.

If you are a Council or Housing Association tenant your Tenancy Management Officer could offer you additional support by way of welfare visits or referring you to a support organisation.

Court Orders

In some cases of domestic abuse you can apply for a civil injunction or protection order to protect you and your family. An injunction is a court order that requires someone to do or not to do something. Further advice on these matters can be obtained via the police, a solicitor or support agencies.

The National Centre for Domestic Violence (NCDV) can help with getting an injunction. Telephone 0800 970 2070 or text NCDV to 60777 for further information. You can also visit their Website

Sanctuary Scheme

If you decide that you want to remain in your home, the police may be able to refer you to have a home security visit from the Police's Crime Prevention Officer.  They will be able to give you advice on keeping yourself safe in your home. If additional security is needed to enhance your properties security, the council may be able to help through its Sanctuary Scheme.

Should your situation escalate and you feel you need to leave your home due to domestic abuse; you should seek advice at the earliest opportunity in order to allow plenty of time to look at your options and to plan for leaving.

No items found.